Scammers, con artists and rogue movers are on the hunt looking to take advantage of consumers. Although these types of numbers are a small fraction of the millions of moves handled by professional movers each year this still causes stress and grief to the victims of these crimes. Many times people scammed on their deposit, left with lost or damaged possessions, thousands of dollars in extra fees, and hours of wasted time dealing with a moving nightmare.
Consumers can prevent falling victim to a scam by choosing an established mover to handle their moving needs. Make sure that the mover is fully licensed and insured, and meet high standards for safety and customer service.
The police are investigating plenty of cases where scammers are posing as moving companies on websites like Kijiji and Craigslist. All the scammer has to do is set up a fake local number with a prepaid cell phone or VOIP number. Then they create the listing on free classified listing websites to lure in victims that are hunting for the cheapest price. People get scammed so easily because people don't cross-check or verify the mover before giving the deposit.
- Get some comparisons by getting at least three free estimates in writing or by email. Avoid abnormally high or low estimates when making your choice.
- Select a moving company with a physical location close to you. Do a drive by and check them out at their facility. The mover should be happy to show you around the office and give you references on how good of a job that they can do. Look for their branded trucks and vans.
- Ask the mover to come to your house for a quote. Show them everything that needs to be moved, from the attic to the basement. Don't forget your stuff in your sheds, garages and storage areas.
- Carefully read every document to make sure that the contract works for you. Ask for a copy of everything that you sign. Never sign a blank form.
- We recommend that you never email a deposit or payment information to the mover. Don't give your driver’s license, cheque or credit card information. A professional mover will provide a secure way for you to pay.
- Ask tons of questions if you don’t understand something. Ensure that your mover has your cell phone number to reach you.
CHOOSE MORRISON MOVING
Morrison Moving is afive staff moving company that has over 30 years of experience helping families move in the Hamilton and Niagara region. We are fully insured and over the best overall customer service and support. Our moving crew has the skills to make your move stress-free. We recommend that you call us today for first class customer service and support.
THE DECISION IS EASY! CALL MORRISON MOVING NOW AT (905) 525-8332.